It’s easier than you might think to place a bet at the races. You simply need to:
- Choose your favoured horse from the racecard and remember their name and number
- Decide the amount (the stake) you are comfortable with
- Choose the type of bet you would like to place
- Take your pick from the bookmakers at the betting ring
- Tell the bookmaker the horse’s number, the amount you want to bet and the type of bet, for example, “£5 each way on number 5”
The bookmakers typically have a minimum stake for placing a bet, but this will be clearly displayed on their boards.
You’ll be given a ticket once your bet has been placed; be sure to keep hold of it – if you win, you’ll need it to collect your winnings from the bookmaker.